Friday, February 7, 2014
Community Feb. 10-14
Febuary 14- Valentines Day
We will be exchanging cards with one another. Please send them in on Thursday or Friday.
Books This Week:
A Pocket for Corduroy
Small Groups For This Week:
1. Writing- We will be creating a new class book about places in our community. We will be sending it home shortly.
2. Math-Weighing- We will be using scales to weigh different packages. We will compare their weight first by estimating which is heavier by feeling it then we will use a scale to see which package is heavier and lighter. We will then put them in size order from the lightest to the heaviest.
3. Fine Motor- We will be creating stationary using hearts. Children will choose a pattern and continue the pattern about the frame of the stationary.
1. Language- We will be sequencing pictures to retell the story of Corduroy
2. Math- Sorting Junk Mail- We will be sorting "teacher junk mail". The children will help get our mail from our school mailbox. We will bring it back to our classroom and sort it in different ways. By color, size, and shape. They will be a great help!
3. We will begin the process of making our houses out of cereal boxes. This will continue into next week as well.
Let's Talk About It
-What is a community
-Introducing the post office and mail carriers
-Different communities children belong to
Art Table: Designing pockets for Corduroy
Block Area: Building house for a community
Sensory Table: Water and bubbles
Book Area: books about community
Easel: open ended painting
Writing Table: homemade stamps
Dramatic Play: Post Office
Puzzles and Manipulatives: tangrams and puzzles
We will continuing a program called Handwriting Without Tears. It's focus is on letter formation and letter awareness. This program reinforces proper grasp and trying to strenghten fine motor muscles.
-We are working on letters with diagonal lines such as K, M, W, V, X, and A.
Songs, Word Play, and Language
-Hello Neighbor Song
-Diagonal Line Song (HWT)
We are continuing on this skill.
-When someone is in your way or has something you want, say, "Excuse me" to get them to look at you, then you say"May I____________?" to get what you want.