World of Color - Week 5
Theme – This week we will continue our Unit 4 of the Owl, World of Color. During this unit students will interact with colors explore topics such as color mixing, stains, fading, camouflage, and color patterns. Students will learn that color can be found in nature, that color can carry information, that paints and dyes are used to color things, colors can be mixed to make new colors and that sun and washing can make colors fade.
*Also, we are planning ahead for our upcoming unit. If you have any “beautiful junk”, we would appreciate it. Here’s what we need: shiny gift wrap, metal jars, plastic screw top container lids (peanut butter, coffee jars, etc), small metal cans, transparent and opaque jars or containers.
Orange is the color of the week.
Please have your child wear the color Orange or bring in an Orange item on Thursday.
The Lion and the Little Red Bird by Elisa Kleven
Chickens Aren’t The Only Ones by Ruth Heller
A Letter To Amy by Ezra Jack Keats
- Language – We will discuss how animals are different colors and patterns. We will create a chart and sort animals that have stripes and animals that have spots
- Book Browsing –We will be looking through some of our familiar books from our color unit. We will be discussing our favorite characters and favorite parts in each story. We will compare our responses with each other.
- Positional Book- We will be creating a positional book based on our book The Lion and The Little Red Bird. (Terms: above, below, on, next to, between)
- Easel –Coloring The Lion and The Little Red Bird
-Sensory table-Color Sorting using tongs to promote fine motor skills
- Dramatic Play – Post Office and buying stamps and envelopes with money
-Art Table- making orange hats for Thursday
-Writing Center – Writing letters to friends
-Library- Books about colors
-Fine Motor- color sorters
- Blocks –Colored building blocks
Let’s Talk About It (oral language development)
-discussing distinctive colors in animals
-appreciating others (related to how the little red bird and the lion helped each other)
Songs, Word Plays and Letters
1)Head Shoulders Knees and Toes
2) Down By the Bay
3) Five Green and Speckled Frogs
4) Green grass
5) What are you wearing?
6) Can you think of words that rhyme with__?
7) Stand Up